Rattenberg is the smallest city in Austria and has almost fully retained it’s medieval appearance.
1254 was the first time Rattenberg was mentioned in a document. Although the settlement seems to go back much further. The toponym goes back to the bavarian
first name Ratolt or Ratobo what from which the name Rattenberg (Berg des Ratold = Mountaind of Ratold) was derived, which goes back to the 10th century. At that time the area was ruled by the bavarian house of Rapotonen. The castle above the city was presumably built to defend intruders from the then located dominion of the prince-archbishops of Brixen.
During the last years of the Bavarian reign was the official rising of Rattenberg to be a City. On January 7th in the of 1393 Duke Stefan III. bestowed Rattenberg the town charter, this benefited the City economical as well as political.
In the years 1415/16 a carriage-road was built from the „Stadtplatz“ (inner city), passing the „Nagelschmiedhäuser“, leading west to the old „Landstraße“ (country road), which brought an essential change to the townscape of Rattenberg.
This constructional measure characterized Rattenberg until the 19th century.
During the 19th century the old and now hindering city gates were taken down and the river Inn at the western City exit achieved imitatively controlling.